Friday, August 22, 2014

Week 1 Introduction: The Mezzo-Italiano from Oklahoma

I sipped my sub-par cappuccino as Serafina and her cousin Luigia, an exchange student around my age, chatted with me in Italian in The Bookmark. I had arrived forty-five minutes earlier to complete an oral exam as part of my Italian class, but evaluation had dissolved to conversation.

"Scusatemi, ma siete italiani, giusto?" 

The question came from a young man standing in line behind me. Our exchanges in Italian had caught his attention, but he must have not heard my mediocre accent. Serafina looked up with that sly smile of hers and answered him. She and Luigia were from Potenza, she said. And, as for me?

"Oklahoma, ma lui รจ mezzo-italiano."

To be clear, that's not mezzo-italiano by blood, but by language. 

Such a compliment had me beaming.
~~~
I offer this anecdote as a way to explore my identity. I'm only twenty-two years old, so I'm still working on that. However, a simple way to begin is the face that I love losing myself in 'the process.' Vague, I know. A psychologist might describe this as flow. For me, it's more about getting lost in the nuances. It's easier to do than you might think. Here are a few suggestions:

  • Play piano music that matches your mood
  • Speak and stumble through a new language 
  • Fix that meddlesome doorknob with a paper clip 
  • Buy an accordion and start teaching yourself
  • Listen. Listen. Listen. 
My first and only 'accordion selfie.' (Embarrassing, I know.)

Find what works and go from there. It takes some experimentation, but I've found that the end-result is worth it.

To cover the basics, I was born in Tulsa to a journalist and a CPA. I grew up on Legos and the knowledge that I was loved by my parents. Music struck me early on, and I ended up playing saxophone for the band and piano for myself. I came to OU as a microbiology major, and after six weeks in Arezzo and two weeks of 'couchsurfing' in Northern Italy, I tacked on Italian.

When it comes to OU, I feel as if I've hit the jackpot. It's like playing with Legos as a young adult, but in this case, I'm creating experiences for myself rather than overpriced, plastic contraptions. I lead a peer education organization on campus that helps students with harder classes. I've given a TEDxOU talk over my experience with mental illness and the power of narrative as a tool to build empathy. I'm certainly had my failures, but it's part of the process.

At the moment, I feel like the souls who await to enter Mount Purgatorio. I've sent off my applications for medical school where I hope to incorporate the skills I've learned through hundreds of hours of tutoring to develop effective rapports with my future patients. If everything goes well, I'd love to teach medicine.

I, however, don't plan on being too picky when it comes to my future. I could end up a traveling pianist who retires to play stadium organ. I could end up teaching Italian at a high school. I might find myself as an activist for mental illness.

The point is that I can never be to sure what'll take place, so I try to relax. "Tranquillo, Jake," I say to myself.

And you know what, not knowing is all right by me.

16 comments:

  1. Hello Jake!
    Wow! Your introduction was incredibly unique and interesting, I was quite fascinated by how diverse your interests are! I am also interested in the medical field; in fact, I am currently applying to Physical Therapy schools! I admire your story, which included dialogue; it was a neat 'insight' to a part of your life it felt like the reader (myself) was experiencing that moment in The Bookmark! We also share the same interest in music. However, unfortunately I do not play any instruments. Although, it is on my bucket list to learn how to play the piano and the guitar! I wish you the best of luck with your future endeavors which ever you decide to pursue. Thank you for sharing part of your story, it was truly remarkable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jake, this is a really good introduction. Even without saying much about yourself one can get a read on your personality. I would have loved to be in Italy during the world cup. The atmosphere around the game of soccer in Europe is just incredulous. I hope you do well with your medical school applications. I hear it is a very rigorous and nerve wrecking process to go through. One of my themes in life is "stuff happens" which i think fits into your "Tranquillo" approach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you have found the magic of languages, Jake! Beato te! As a language teacher (I used to teach Polish, Latin, Greek... and oh, I do miss teaching languages now!), I met so many people who would tell me they were "not good at languages" ... when that is in fact one thing that ALL human beings are INCREDIBLY good at. But, sadly, language classes are usually the opposite of flow. Luckily, with a language like Italian, which is close to English in many ways, you can usually get Italian language students to "go with the flow" ... but for languages that are more distant from English (because of phonology, vocabulary, etc. etc.), it can be so hard to get students to just let go and find their flow.

    And how marvelous it would be if you could have a chance to explore the intersection of language and mental illness: powerful stuff! I'm sure there is so much to be learned there, useful and important things to learn. And TEDxOU - how exciting! That means it's at YouTube, right? You should embed it here at your blog (hey, it's a Tech Tip!)... I bet people would love to watch a video as part of an Introduction. I know I would!

    Just out of curiosity, I have to ask: have you read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig...? It sure does connect with some of your interests! It is my favorite book of all time, hands down - I've read it more times than I can count. If you haven't read it yet, oh, I do recommend it! It has been changing my life (over and over again) ever since I was 16. And that was a LONG time ago! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've probably already figured this out from the other comments but this is a great introduction and a very fun one to read! I was extremely interested in where the beginning part about your conversation in Italian was going and you expressed your personality all at the same time. I think it's great that you're so open-minded about your future but I definitely wish you best of luck with the applications!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jake, this was such an introspective and refreshing read. I love the notion of "tranquillo"; as college students, I'm sure we have all had those moments of panic where we don't know how we're going to get through an especially difficult class or when we are unsure of what the future holds. I know I certainly have, and it's fortunate that we can find peace in just a few moments of meditation. Thank you for sharing this snapshot of your life and for the perspective that it brings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved your introduction! It was definitely the most unique intro I have read so far. I love how you incorporated your personality into this. I can definitely see that you are a chill dude that likes to just go with the flow. Italian is a beautiful language. Was it really difficult to learn? Do you want to travel to Italy some day? I am really looking forward to being in this class with you and reading whatever creations you come up with for your storytelling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A microbiology major who can write awesome fiction too! Color me jealous! I wish I wish I were scientifically inclined enough to major in something like that, but my gifts and interest lay exclusively in the realm of creative pursuits. Specializing both in the sciences and the languages has clearly made you an incredibly well-rounded and versatile person. I’ve little doubt you could excel in doing any one of the jobs you mentioned in your concluding paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhhh, to be 22 again, Jake!!!! To know that the world holds such great possibilities and they are not just limited to Oklahoma or America. I think it's fantastic that you speak Italiano so well. I myself took 5 years of Spanish when I was in high school and am now tackling Cherokee. It's an extremely fun language to learn.

    I too adore music. I have such an eclectic collection on my iPod...you can find it all...classical, reggae, R&B, country. Why would we want to limit ourselves to one genre? You seem to have an eager interest in all things music. I mean, how many people do you know who have and/or play an accordion? lol ... I hope you keep that forever! You'll probably look back in 20 years and smile about it!!!

    I wish you the best of luck on getting into medical school & I wish you the best in all your future endeavors!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Jake! My name is Anthony. I just wanna wish you the best of luck into getting accepted into medical school. It seems like you deserve it. It seems like your just a relaxed, go with the flow kind of guy and that is cool. I am a junior this year and I have to admit everyday I've been getting stressed more and more. I get so nervous about what I want to do with my life after college. I wish I had the type of attitude as you. The accordion is awesome! You should post a video playing it one day on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm going to go ahead and say I was right about you liking languages. Even if it's just one. But I think it's at least two! Because not only is there Italian, but you write like someone who is very comfortable with the English language. You honestly seem like quite the inspirational person. I think you'll go far in life. And I have pretty decent instincts. :)

    Oh and like Laura said, I'd love to see the talk you gave!

    Have a great semester!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jake!

    Wow. PLEASE write a book. Or seven. You have quite the head on your shoulders and I want to see that TED talk. So awesome. It's awesome that you picked up Italian too, I did the same but with French and forced myself into fluency over the past 8 years. Stick with it, you'll love it. You have an incredible future ahead of you, I can tell because you'll accept everything that comes your way. I'd love to pick your brain on other aspects of life sometime over coffee, my treat!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jake,

    Wow! Your introduction post is by far the best ones I have read so far this semester! You presented such a telling picture of yourself without the typical major, hometown, career path outline. It sounds like your passion for Italian is going to take you very far in life, and you give such great advice about just being in the moment. After such a snazzy introduction, I'd like to see your TED talk too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That’s awesome that you have such diverse interests! Most people identify themselves as the ‘artistic type’ or the ‘science type’, but it’s great that you enjoy both disciplines and have combined them into your life so seamlessly. And good luck with med school! Though I’m sure you’ll get in, I think it’s cool that you haven’t set all your hopes on one dream and still feel that your future is flexible.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great intro! I think that it is so admirable you can speak another language. I want to be able to so badly; I'm a french minor but I doubt I'll ever get there. Anyhow, you seem like a very interesting person! And the accordion is amazing to listen to. I've only heard it played a couple times and I find it fascinating. Congratulations on all you've been doing and will do!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Jake! It's great to virtually meet you as the semester and this class are coming close to an end. I think that it is awesome that you are so passionate about supporting those with mental illnesses. It is truly sad to see some many mentally impaired individuals written off before people get to know the beautiful personalities behind those who see the world a little differently. I wish you the best of luck in whatever you chose to do in life!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Jake! I must say that I love the attitude you have about life. I wish that I could be so go with the flow like you are, it sure would be one less stress in my life. I must say that I admire you for your musical abilities, as well as your clearly intellectual abilities. They way you wrote your introduction was very unique and well thought out. I hope you get into medical school or if all else fails, that you're able to do one of your other possible future jobs. They all sound like lovely options. Best of luck and it was great getting to know a little bit about you!

    ReplyDelete