Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Storytelling Week 13: Give 'im Some Credit

Coffee in hand and braced against an unforgiving North wind, I make my way toward Buchanan Hall to drop off paper work for my research credit. You would think that after three years at OU I would be on top of these things. If there's anything I've learned as a student, it's that procrastination is a degenerative disease. As I walk in the building, I glance down at my form to ensure I have all the essential pieces. Name. Major. Bibliography. Signatures. I swear, it's that last one that always gets me. At times, finding a professor to coax out a signature nearly requires a search party. Fortunately, I'm not missing anything this time.

I shoot up the stairs to face the bureaucracy, dragging my confidence along with me. While exchanging pleasantries with the two young women who represent the beating heart of Enrollment Services, I lay my form on the desk and mention I need to add the credit to my schedule. I'm not too worried. They tend to be lax on the red tape when it comes to this type of coursework.

"Looks pretty good, but it seems that your professor's section doesn't exist."

"Pardon?"

"Section 7 for Honors Research doesn't exist under the MBIO course designation," she tells me. "You'll have to speak with the department to add the section. Then, we'll be able to enroll you."

*Sigh*

"Sounds good. I'll go take care of that now."
If you look closely, you'll see the fine print that says, "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here." Found at waymarking.com
Walking briskly toward George Lynn Cross Hall, the home of the Department of Microbiology, I reflect on my tendency to lose such bureaucratic lotteries. It's just my luck to be forced to jump through another hoop! By the time I reach the building, my hand has begun to freeze to the surface of my metallic thermos. It only takes a handful of seconds to reach the department's office and explain the situation to the secretary.

"To be honest, adding a section is much easier than it sounds," she says. "However, I'll need confirmation that you turned in a completed add-drop slip for the college from you before it do. You realize it's way past due, right?"

I silently nod as she hands me the slip. What I see written on it causes my eyes to roll.

Spaces for two more signatures.

I spend the next two hours around campus herding the necessary parties to collect that precious ink. By the time I arrive at Ellison Hall to drop off the slip, my ears are crystalizing thanks to the bitter cold. I walk in, slide the slip to the woman at the desk, and prepare myself to receive another mission.

"Before I take this, you'll need to fill out an appeal form for the dean to sign."

Never again. I promise that I will never put myself through this again.

Within a few rushed minutes, I turn in the appeal and dash back toward George Lynn Cross Hall. I speak with the secretary who pulls up a program to create the section for my research credit. I waste no time returning to Buchanan Hall to end this once and for all.

"Okay! You're enrolled now!"

Music to my ears.

~~~~

Author's Note: From the Italian Tales Unit, I chose The Sexton's Nose to recount for my Storytelling post this week. I focused on the second part of the story in which a sexton is forced to jump through a series of hoops to obtain the hair of a dog to cure a dog bite. For example, the sexton needs to give the smith coals in exchange for a mattock, which he will give to the woodman and so on. My retelling is based off of personal experience with getting courses and credits added at the last minute. I thought it would be funny to insert OU into my blog, and this felt like a good fit.

Bibliography
Thomas Frederick Crane
Italian Popular Tales
1885





4 comments:

  1. Jake, I thought your story was awesome (and totally relevant to us college students!). I love how you put a modern spin on the story and catered the story to your audience. I think we can all relate to your story as college students. My favorite line from the story was, "my ears are crystallizing thanks to the bitter cold". I can definitely relate to this from our crazy weather we have had this week. It makes it even more challenging to be productive or even walk to class. Anyways, I greatly enjoyed your story! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, you write beautifully. Secondly, your story was great! It was extremely relateable as college student, and even though I didn't read the Italian unit, I could still follow your story well. Your bit in there about the cold is so true. That's the worst part of Oklahoma... the relentless, unforgiving wind. Anyways, loved the story and it was a great retelling

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey again, Jake! Once more, I think that you did a wonderful job with your storytelling post this week! You perfectly captured the feelings many of us often face when life throws obstacles in our face. Those "hoops," however, are what make us grow and learn to adapt to life's challenges. Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jake, I really like the way you told this story. Adding OU into it made it extremely relatable because we have all been there, and we all know how tedious and annoying it can be. You were very creative in how you told it and used a great deal of imagery. Overall I think you did a great job on this story. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete