Monday, October 27, 2014

Famous Last Words Week 10: Eventful Weekend to Say the Least

While I know my title makes this post seem dramatic, I just have a lot of good news to share. I certainly hope you all will not think I am bragging either!

On Friday, much to my surprise, I found out that I am a finalist for the Rhodes Scholarship for my district, which covers Oklahoma and Texas. Each district chooses fourteen finalists, and from those fourteen, they select two Rhodes Scholars. When you crunch the numbers, that means I have a one in seven chance of becoming a Rhodes Scholar. I cannot believe it. It is difficult to imagine the opportunity of having the chance to study in Oxford for two years, and in my case, I would plan to pursue a Master degree in General Linguistics and Philology. The interview is a little less than a month from now, so I'm preparing myself with a ton of reading. It will be an interesting experience to say the least!
A clip from the email that I could barely believe. (Personal photo)
Yesterday, I had my first interview for medical school at OU's College of Medicine. While I felt the interview went fine, the more important aspect I gleaned from the experience was how impressed I was by the campus. The medical students who showed us around were so well-rounded, and I felt comfortable around them. Most importantly, I decided that I could be happy studying at OU's College of Medicine. I still have more interviews to go, but it is reassuring to know that I do not necessarily have to leave the state in order to find a good fit for medical school.

I guess for now I just have to concern myself with preparing for the next challenges in the upcoming months. It's exciting, and the best part about this is that I never would have seen myself doing any of these things four years ago.

1 comment:

  1. That is SO EXCITING, Jake!!! I will hope for the Rhodes, because of course the med school will still be here, and bigger and better than ever when you come back! Thank you for sharing your good news!

    ReplyDelete