Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Reading Diary Assessment

Having read through my Reading Diaries again, I notice that I pretty much stick with the same format. I read through the stories in order and list my thoughts after each one. For the most part, all of the posts are around the same length.

One consistent pattern I notice is that I tend to look for common themes and patterns between different units. For example, in the Japanese Mythology Unit, I mention how many of the stories have an incestuous undertone that is also demonstrated in the Ovid Units over Greek mythology. I'm not surprised to see such a trend, because I try to have the same perspective when it comes to how other areas of knowledge connect in my own learning. However, I seem to make even stronger observations between stories within a whole unit. I guess I preoccupy myself with the overall message of the author.

Also, I tend to focus on my thoughts and reflections rather than the content of the plot. In my opinion, that's the purpose of a reading diary. Otherwise, the post just becomes a regurgitation of what is already written. My Reading Diaries seem to relatively useful for jogging my memory of how I had interpreted a story when I was in the act of reading it.

When it comes to how much the reading I remember, I will say that I am very able to recall how I felt when I was reading a certain story. I remember the impressions I generated, and I believe that reflects the way in which I have been doing the reading diaries. Since I focus on my own thoughts, I find it much easier to bring how I connected with the reading into discussion. Perhaps that's not the best result, but I enjoy being able to discuss stories in a way that communicates who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment