Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Reading Diary Week 11: Canterbury Tales

Since I've studied Giovanni Boccaccio, who is considered an influence of Chaucer's, I have decided to read the Canterbury Tales Unit this week. 

The Wife of Bath's Tale: The Unknown Bride: I love the challenge put on by the Queen! I know I would be under pressure if I were to have to discover what women wish for most. I find it interesting that the narrator makes the claim that "we women cannot conceal things." That almost seems to be the view of a man. I doubt she sincerely means that. The example she gives of Midas' wife also seems ridiculous. I get the feeling that this story focuses on how the sexes view each other. This story argues for the respect of women.

The Friar's Tale: The Story of the Summoner: I'm surprised to see that the fiend "plays fair" in a sense. He values the true meaning of what people say. It seems that the fiend plays a neutral role in this story because he needed the old woman to make the call to take the summoner into hell.

The Franklin's Tale: The Promise of Dorigen: Hmm, I wonder if this suitor will manage to find a way to deal with the black rocks that worry Dorigen so intensely. With the description of what the magician is showing Aurelius and his brother, I'm pretty sure the magician is using the aforementioned magical book. Yep, that was not too difficult to predict. Wow, I'm surprised at how much importance is placed into keeping one's word in these stories. Again, this story seems to end well for most everyone involved. I really enjoy the question at the end, as well.

The Prioress's Tale: Little Hugh: Goodness, this story certainly starts off with some morbid ideas. What a chilling thought to imagine a dead body singing a hymn. It's clear that this story is meant to incite anger thanks to the use of a innocent martyr.

Nun's Priest's Tale: The Cock, the Hen and the Fox: As I begin to read, I wonder if this story will concern itself mainly with the role of man. This is interesting; we have another story within a story here. I stand corrected. I wonder what roles dreams played in the lives of people who lived during the time of the story's writing. I like the lesson here regarding the vulnerable role one puts oneself in when he speaks.


No comments:

Post a Comment