Monday, October 6, 2014

Famous Last Words Week 7: A New Perspective

The last time I wrote a Famous Last Words entry, I found myself struggling to keep pace with a slew of applications and deadlines. Now, I can breathe a little easier. Even though I have two interviews this week, my schedule has opened up to allow for more spontaneity. I'm reading for pleasure again. I'm finding time to go play tennis during the rare occasions when Oklahoma presents a autumn day that is the perfect temperature without the persistent wind.
A newfound hobby is taking up my free time. Wikipedia Commons.
However, I do not regret the rush and stress from the past month. With those national scholarship applications, I was forced to stop and take stock of my life. Personal statements required that I put who I am into writing, and it is harder than it seems.

"Why?" That's the simple word that came up again and again during that process. Why do I, a person who loves teaching, want to become a doctor? Why do I see language as a lens through which I evaluate my skills as a tutor and future physician? Why did I make the decisions that led me to where I am now?

It is a shame that the question of "what" seems to take precedence in life, and it starts early on. What do you want to be when you grow up? What are your goals? What matters to you? These same questions hold merit, but I think they more readily come to mind.

I now find myself asking "why?" more often, and it keeps me grounded. I feel as if I have taken a one-hour course over myself for the past month, and I am glad I held my ground. The funny thing is that I never would have imagined that I would have gained this much just from the process of applying for such scholarships. I guess the best part of education is what you learn when you least expect it.


5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. College is a great time for one to really evaluate oneself and find out who we are and what we truly want out of our lives. It’s great that this experience with scholarship applications has caused you to stop and consider yourself and your life goals. I really admire you for possessing both a creative mind, a facile way with words, and aptitude in the sciences. That not a common combination for a person to have (I certainly wish I had it), but with your many talents I’m sure you’ve got a bright future ahead of you. You strike me as the type of person who could do anything from journalism to teaching to being a doctor. Hope everything works out well for you, Jake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That’s true. And I think that ‘why’ is always the more interesting question, even if we only see the ‘what’ of everyone’s lives. Accomplishments and activities can only give some insight into a person; the answers to ‘why’ reveal the nature of the person and show patterns in the way they think. Speaking of ‘why’s, I think the questions you brought up because of your personal statement are interesting. Why do you want to become a physician, even though you love teaching? Is it that you see a doctor, in a sense, as a teacher? If you do, that’s a pretty interesting take on how physicians are viewed, since most people view a doctor as someone who patches sick people up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jake,
    I'm glad to see that you made it through an incredibly stressful time in your semester in one piece! I'm glad you gained some valuable insight during the experience, too. It's always good when life sits you down and makes you thing about not only what direction you are heading in, but why you are going there. I hope you gained some inspiration for achieving you future goals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jake, I completely know how you're feeling with having to write personal statements, because I've been having to write them too for Medical School. It's tough trying to tell someone about yourself in a few hundred words. Good luck with everything though!

    ReplyDelete